Monday, October 10, 2011

Enlarge my house?

Isaiah 54:2-3  “Enlarge your house; build an addition.   Spread out your home, and spare no expense!  For you will soon be bursting at the seams."



This Bible verse was the passage in a biography I read my children this morning at school time.  When I read it, I laughed outloud, because this is the cry of my life these days...We will be adding two children to our already large brood next month if all goes well, and I imagine that I am feeling the pinch of space.  I've prayed often for wisdom concerning this.  I don't feel clear that we are supposed to take out any loans.  One son suggested that I should "use what I have", and certainly that was very good advice.  After all, we have eight bedrooms, it's just that they are not all in the same "dwelling".  We have four bedrooms in our main house.  We have three bedrooms (although one is being transformed into a little sitting area) in the guest house.  And there is one more bedroom in the office over the barn.  Eight bedrooms is a lot, isn't it?  Certainly more than  most people have.  I'm pretty blessed if you think about it...

But in my discontent moments, I want at least one more bedroom in the house.  One more in the house would comfortably accommodate all the children under the age of 18.  I want a mudroom/family closet off my laundry room.  I want another bathroom...or two...or even three... 

Then I remember...there are mothers all over the world who are putting their babies to bed on the bare ground.  If those mothers are blessed, they have some sort of roof over their heads, even if it's made of grass or cardboard.  I have a nice house on twelve acres of land.  I have eight bedrooms spread out over it.  What right do I have to ask for more, or be anything but grateful for what I do have, which is a LOT?

This morning, my oldest son barely missed being killed in an accident.  By that, I mean he got across the street with some of his friends before a motorcycle hit a car at great speed, likely killing the motorcycle driver, injuring the person in the car, and causing the car to hit one of Gage's friends.  A few seconds slower, and Gage would have still been crossing that street when the accident happened.  That puts it all into perspective.

Yes, I pray for him and his safety.  As much as I pray for my house to be enlarged?  hmmm...I think so.  But today, a bigger house just doesn't seem all that important.

My house is big enough.  I have enough space.  Maybe it's not just like I want it, but it's enough.  It fits the people living here, even if we will have to use the guest house when I would like to have another bedroom in the main house.  We have the addition.  And we are at the point of bursting at the seams.  God has blessed our family so much.

A little later in this same chapter, verses 13-14 say: 

"All your sons will be taught by the LORD,
   and great will be your children’s peace"

That's my real prayer.  My house is enlarged, we are bursting at the seams, but God knew this was going to happen, and He made sure we have what we needed, even if it isn't exactly what I want.  Now, let me concentrate on my children's being taught by the Lord, and having great peace!






1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your reminder of how blessed we are! There are so many who don't even have enough to eat each day. May God bless you and your growing family. And may your home continue to burst at the seams!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!