Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Oh, Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Dry Bones

Ezekiel 37:1-10  The hand of the Lord was upon me, and he brought me out by the Spirit of the Lord and set me in the middle of a valley; it was full of bones...He asked me, "Son of man, can these bones live?"  I said, "Oh, Sovereign Lord, you alone know."  Then he said to me, "Prophesy to these bones..."  So I prophesied as I was commanded...there was a noise, a rattling sound, and the bones came together, bone to bone...but there was no breath in them.  Then he said to me, "Prophesy to the breath..."  So I prophesied as he commanded me, and breath entered them; they came to life and stood up on their feet - a vast army.


Oh, Lord, PLEASE don't let this be what my children are planning...

We have lots of dogs at our place, the number depending on whether mom's mood is to raise them, or the Great Pyrenees momma just gave birth to eleven puppies again.  My son Max works at an organic butcher shop, and sometimes he brings me literal barrel fulls of bones for them.  Add to that the fact that when an animal dies around here, unless it's a favorite of Angel-Leah's and gets buried, it will end up getting throw in the ditch downwind from our house.  The dogs always discover this, and bring said dead animal back into our yard, embarrassing the teen age girl of the house - and sometimes me, like yesterday when our car broke down on the highway right across from the church we attend.  Our bishop lives behind the church, and he rescued us, loading our groceries into his spotless van and bringing us home; stopping his car just before he ran over the HUGE dead hen in the driveway.  That hen is big enough to feed our two big dogs for a while, but wow, I wish they didn't use the front yard for a dining room...

But I digress...

So anyway, this morning, as usual, my three little ones ran outside before I could get them dressed, and before I could even feed more than one of them breakfast.  I knew what they were up too.  A few weeks ago, they had gathered all the broken glass in our yard, pretending it was jewels.  I was quite pleased with how they managed to find Every. Single. Piece. of glass by the time they were done.  And when they lost interest in it, I quietly threw it all in the dumpster.
Well, this week, they have turned their attention to the bones in our yard.  I'm sure our trek last week to the overpass at the end of our acreage to see where a body was found (see blog post) had a lot to do with it.  They have scoured our yard, filling every box, feed sack and wagon they can find with bones.  Yes, there are that many of them...

This morning, I found Luke, setting up shop.  He had made a make shift table to put his bones on, and they had found a LOT!




Tommy was quite stalled trying to get his gloves on. That's a VERY important part of excavating bones, you know!!


It can just almost make you cry...

Typical female, Angel-Leah set up shop and sold her bones.  I walked up just in time to see Tommy approach her store, where she cheerily greeted him:  "Sandy's bone shop.  How can I help you?"


Angel-Leah also played dentist, and preformed tooth extractions:


But soon, there was a distraction in the bone hunting.  A John Deere tractor was working in the field across from our house.  Luke and Tommy left Angel-Leah high and dry in her bone shop as they raced down the driveway to watch the tractor:


Hopefully, Angel-Leah's vast store of Bible tapes doesn't cover Ezekiel 37.  All I need is for my children to start prophesying and make all those bones come alive and start walking around my house.  Then again, do you have to feed skeletons?  Maybe I could train them to do yard work, themselves?  I often think a vast army is just what I need around here!!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like our yard except we have all of the things that our dog drags up from outside and whatever she finds in the house and even from the door left open of our van after we come home from church sometimes. I am always picking things up so we don't look like a trash dump. Thanks for the post its good to know I'm not alone in my clean yard struggle.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!