Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Mommy...your good at that!

"I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."  Matthew 18:3

People often tell me they don't understand why I like to raise children so much.  They don't understand why, even though I am 57 years old, and have ten children, I would still welcome another one if the Lord found me worthy (and healthy) enough.
It's almost impossible for me to explain it.  I know a few of you would understand, you have large families too, and you see and feel the same things I see and feel.  I love my grandchildren desperately, and I love other people's children too.  But it's not the same things as having a child in your hands whose life you are molding.

Today, I had a "mommy moment".  It was the shining example of why I love this so much.

Luke and Tommy as best buddies.  They share a room, and they share their lives.  Luke rarely goes anywhere without Tommy running right behind him.  For the last few days, they have been determined to catch one of the many birds that make their home in our trees, the siding under our porches and sometimes in the chimney of our wood stove.  They've come in begging for bread and my bird seed. 
This morning, they had success!

Luke came running in, Tommy right behind him.
"LOOK MOMMY!"  he said.  "We caught one!"
Sure enough, there in his grubby little fist was a small bird, looking like it was about to have a heart attack.
I didn't blame it.
"Don't squeeze him!"  I said.
Luke looked at me with his sweet, innocent, brown eyes and said,
"Will you make him live, mommy?  You're good at that!"
Oh my...my eyes filled with tears.  My heart swelled.  I love this little guy so much!


Yes, Luke, I will do what I can to make your bird live.  Just like I will do what I can to make YOU live.  I will water and feed your body and soul.  I will keep you clean, both inside and out.  I will love you, I will enjoy you, and when you get too big for your cage - our home, and you need to spread your wings and fly, I will release you.

But for now, I will drag out one of my cages, which are getting kind of old, and I'll let you keep your bird for a while.
I REALLY need to buy some new cages.  It took a bit of work to make this one look nice at all:



I was wanting more birds anyway...but I was thinking more along the lines of a finch.

The bird now has a name, Pancho. 

We are all very happy this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!