Monday, July 30, 2012

Feeding my family

Today will probably be grocery shopping day for me.  It's the one job of caring for my large family that I just don't like much.  I think one reason is because I am so torn...
I want to be frugal.  I joined The Grocery Game to help me organize coupons and save money (check this site out, and if you join, remember to tell them that Carla Raley sent you!!).  I try very hard to get a Sunday paper each week just for the coupons.  I shop several stores to save money.  I feel like getting the best deals is part of my job as a stay at home mom - making the most of the money my husband works hard for.

But sometimes I get discouraged.  After getting yet another bad watermelon at the local farmers market, in fact, getting TWO bad watermelons, I found myself at Central Market yet again last week while I was in Fort Worth.  I could live on watermelon during the summer.  It's so hot, and watermelon is the perfect food, I think.  I know when I get a watermelon at Central Market, it's going to be good.  So I went, and with spending just a bit more than I did at the farmers market, I brought home a wonderful, sweet watermelon.

So I sometimes struggle between being frugal, and getting what I know will probably be more pricey, and yet be something my family will enjoy eating, rather than just eating.

And yes, I have tried and failed many times with a garden in my yard.  I did plant watermelons in my herb garden this year, and I have a few actually growing out there.  If they work, I'll try it again next summer with watermelons that will ripen earlier.  It's just that I've never been able to get more than a few, and I want watermelon EVERY DAY!!

I am pretty good at not buying processed food, and have learned that once you have weaned yourself off it, it doesn't even taste good anymore.  We make things from scratch in our house, which saves a bundle!

It's not hard for me to be both frugal and "green".  I don't like chemicals, they scare me a bit, so it's easy to use baking soda and vinegar and soap nuts and essential oils to keep my house clean.  I know that this also helps Tommy, and all of us for that matter.

It's easy for me to be frugal in the clothes department.  I have found so many places to be frugal there.  Thrift store shopping, online sales: I just got two dresses for my little girl at an online store I recently found: The Dashing Bee,  I was very pleased with what I received.

  I want to be frugal, but the kids want blizzards when we go out.  I want to be not only frugal, but stick to Tommy's diet, but the snow cone stand makes memories.  I want to be frugal, but I want to be fun, too.

Food is so important to happiness, don't you think?  So I struggle.  Town Talk, or Central Market?  Thankfully, these two stores, which are at opposite ends of the spectrum, are both an hour away from me, so I don't have to make that choice often.  Within decent driving distance is Aldi's and HEB, and those are my main stores.  So this afternoon, I will sit for a while checking sales and gathering coupons, and trudge off again.  Saving money is all a part of it, but a happy family is important too.

I would love to hear how any of you handle this!!

9 comments:

  1. Every time we get the Ft Worth paper the coupons are always missing :(
    We have found the dollar general has things lower then walmart. The only 2 good stores that are local are walmart,and market place....
    So when market place has 10 for 10 we stock up then...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband picked up a paper yesterday and the coupons were missing, too! I told him to be careful and always check for that. It is a shame that there are people who are dishonest and will steal them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have a nursing home, assisted living facility or other type of residential care home.......most of the time they provide all of the meals for their residents. The folks that live there that get the newspaper, often just throw their coupons away! I know when I worked at assisted living, I would sometimes get 20 - 30 sets of coupons from the residents there and then pass them out at my mommy playgroup! I can't tell you the last time I spent money on a newspaper. Now I print them at www.coupons.com :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, that's a great idea! My daughter works in a nursing home, I might ask her to check on that for me!

      Delete
  4. Carla you see that more,and more, didnt they even have a thing on Ft Worth news about people stealing coupons out of Sundays paper?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to thank-you for the info on the Dashing Bee, I was able to purchase 4 outfits for my LO for less than I was going to spend on 2 from someone else.
    I am signing up for the grocery game, but need your e-mail address to get you credit, you can message me if you would like and I will wait till tomorrow as I don't shop till Thursday!
    I so enjoy your blog and posts, it gives me hope and encouragement during my own journey towards the adoption of my granddaughter. (my husband is very worried about our ages, so I use your experiences as encouragement to him as well)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked Dashing Bee!! I've only gotten two things, but they were clean and in good shape and I was pleased.
      My email address is: carlaraley@gvzebras.com
      Thanks for the referral!
      And I will pray for you and your husband. I would not hesitate to adopt one of my grandchildren if I ever needed too. God bless you!

      Delete
  6. Hi Carla, sorry we did not get together this weekend.
    My Great Uncle passed away Thursday,and since Jeff has to work this week he wanted to go see him at funeral home.
    He would of been 90 Saturday (4th)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!